Are you a recent graduate looking to settle down in a career? After years of schooling and preparation for a chosen field, most students will begin to search for a job that allows them to put their skills to the test and apply what they've learned from their studies. However, with so much competition in the job market it can often be a difficult, and sometimes scary process landing the job of your dreams. That's why one of the most crucial things you can do is take some time and thoroughly prepare for a job interview! After all, this is the first time prospective employers will meet with you face to face, and it's essential to give off a good first impression. The following are a few tips that you can use to prepare for your next job interview:
1. Research: Always research the company you are going to interview with beforehand. Not only will this help you feel more comfortable during your interview, but it will show the employer that you're interested in their business and are eager to learn more about them.
2. Practice: Give yourself time a few days before your interview to prepare answers to typical job interview questions. However, employers will often ask unexpected questions to see if you can think on your feet, so it's a good idea to ask friends and family to prepare you by doing the same.
3. Prepare: Make sure to bring copies of your resume, cover letter and references, and also make sure that you've prepared questions of your own to ask the interviewer.
4. Be on Time: Leave yourself enough time to make sure you won't be late to your interview. It's a good idea to arrive at least 15 minutes early in order to find where you need to go and freshen up beforehand.
5. Follow Up: After your interview, always follow up with the interviewer by thanking them for their time and consideration. You can do this by sending an email or a handwritten note. Don't forget to send more than one if you've been interviewed by several people.
Here at Bramson ORT, we believe that all of our students can excel in the work force, and that's why we offer career services that can help students get their foot in the door. Our career services office provides extensive employer services to a wide range of corporate and not-for-profit employers, as well as comprehensive career development services to students and alumni. We are also available to help place students in internship programs that can provide the experience needed to obtain a position at a later date.